What is Cinnamon Oil?
Cinnamon is amongst the widely used spices and can be found in every Indian kitchen. The oil extracted from the bark of the cinnamon tree is cinnamon essential oil. It has a bittersweet spicy aroma and is reddish-brown in its appearance. Cinnamon oil benefits include its application in aromatherapy, cosmetics, medicines and has a variety of health benefits. Cinnamon oil, like all essential oils, is highly concentrated and its usage is through a great deal of dilution with carrier oils like coconut oil or olive oil. Any consumption of the oil must be under the advice of a medical expert.
Benefits of Cinnamon Oil
1. Improve Blood Circulation
Cinnamon herb is known as a “warming” herb since it gives a warm sensation when consumed or externally applied. The use of cinnamon oil for body massage greatly increases the blood circulation due to its blood-thinning compounds. Also, As oil is rich in antioxidants, it helps to eliminate waste from your body and reduces pain and inflammation.
2. Act as a Decongestant
The antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties of cinnamon oil make it a brilliant decongestant and helps to fight respiratory infections like bronchitis, respiratory tract mycoses, bacterial infections in cystic fibrosis, and recurrent respiratory conditions. Hence, cinnamon oil uses include its effectiveness in providing relief from symptoms of respiratory problems such as cold, influenza, sore throat and congestion.
3. Control Blood Sugar
As per studies, cinnamon oil is known to lower the level of glucose in the blood and help to control your blood sugar. Cinnamon oil possesses cinnamaldehyde and water-soluble polyphenol that cuts down the risk of diabetes and has positive effects on insulin release. Stable blood sugar can help to get rid of chronic fatigue, moodiness, sugar cravings and overeating. Furthermore, massaging a blend of cinnamon oil and olive oil on your legs can help to treat diabetic neuropathy.
4. Improve Breath
Cinnamon essential oil is often added in mouth fresheners and chewing gums because of the deep musky scent that is both soothing and appealing. It helps to get rid of bad breath and also provides relief from gum inflammation.
5. Improve Digestion
One of the significant cinnamon oil benefits leads to its power in offering relief from bloating and inflammation in the colon. It has been found to treat stomach disorders such as indigestion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and flatulence. Massaging a mixture of cinnamon oil and olive oil (or any other carrier oil) for at least five minutes on your abdomen will help to reduce the gas in your digestive tract.
6. Relief Ache
The cinnamon essential oil acts as a natural pain reliever and helps in treating chronic pain, joint stiffness and muscle discomfort. Prepare a diluted solution by adding 1 to 2 drops of cinnamon essential oil with 5 spoons of your choice of carrier oil and directly apply to the area that hurts. It will soothe your sore muscles and knots within no time. Alternatively, you can take a warm bath with cinnamon oil if you are prone to frequent and random body aches.
7. Relief Tooth Ache
The high content of eugenol along with the medicinal properties of cinnamon essential oil makes it an excellent option for soothing aching tooth and preventing dental and oral problems. The oil has extreme antimicrobial potency against the bacteria in charge of tooth decay, called streptococcus mutans as well as against the bacteria responsible for gum disease, known as Lactobacillus Plantarum. Add a few drops of cinnamon essential oil on a cotton ball and place it between your teeth to get rid of a toothache and gum troubles.
8. Relief Arthritis
The anti-rheumatic properties and the warming sensation produced by cinnamon oil can be an effective remedy for arthritis. The oil acts as a potent anti-inflammatory agent that is helpful in reducing joint pain associated with arthritis. You can create a blend by mixing 1 to 2 drops of cinnamon essential oil with 5 spoons of warm coconut or mustard oil and massage it gently over the painful areas of your body. Depending on the severity and intensity of your pain, you can also opt for cinnamon oil-infused hot or cold compress to alleviate joint pain.
9. Fights Menstrual Problems
Menstrual cramps can be difficult! One of the cinnamon oil benefits includes its potency in offering the much-needed relief from the pain of cramps during menstruation. It also acts as an emmenagogue to stimulate normal menstruation in women with irregular cycles and at the same time, helps to keep the warning sign of PMS away.
10. Fights Infections
Cinnamon oil consists of antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiseptic and antiviral properties that are ideal for preventing infections caused by harmful microbes. It prevents the growth of the bacteria E. coli and parasite mycelial that are often seen to attack human bodies and cause infections. Additionally, regular consumption of the oil can also treat urinary tract infections and help you to build a stronger immunity against infections in general.
1. Improve Dry Skin
Cinnamon oil for skin acts as a therapeutic and rejuvenating moisturizer that can treat dry and rough skin. Daily usage can also help to reduce signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Add 1-2 drops of cinnamon essential oil to 10ml coconut oil or olive oil
- Massage the dry areas of your skin with this blend. You will start to notice improvement within a few days
- Mix one or two drops of the oil to your face cream
- Apply it all over your face and neck
- Using a cotton ball, dab off the excess oil after 15 minutes
- Leave it overnight
- Wash your face in the morning with a mild cleanser.
2. Treat Chapped Lips
Cinnamon oil for lips benefit includes it being a great alternative to heal chapped lips and make your lips appear fluffy and fuller. Cinnamon oil can be used along with cassia essential oil to make your lips naturally swell.
- Mix 1 drop of cinnamon oil with 1 tablespoon of Vaseline
- Apply a little amount of it on your lips to get rid of chapped lips.
Initially, you might experience a slight tingly sensation but within a few minutes, you can notice fuller and well-moisturised lips.
1. Help to Improve Hair Growth
Cinnamon essential oil can boost hair growth and improve the overall health of your hair by offering vital nutrients to hair follicles. This spicy essential oil can be mixed with carrier oils and applied on the hair or added to hair masks. You can also add a few drops to your regular shampoo and wash your hair with it to stimulate hair growth.
2. Remove Hair Problem
The use of cinnamon essential oil for hair treatment is gaining popularity as it is natural and reduces hair problems such as hair thinning, hair fall, head lice, and dandruff. This oil is antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory in nature and prevents scalp irritation and other disorders. Diluting cinnamon essential oil with a base oil and massaging the concoction onto your scalp and hair will cleanse and soothe your scalp as well as encourage blood circulation.
1. Mosquito Repellent
The composition and fragrance of cinnamon oil is something that mosquitoes can’t tolerate. If you are planning an overnight camping trip or jungle safari, make sure to use the oil to stay protected from mosquito bites. It can be also used to destroy the larvae of mosquitoes and prevent mosquito-borne diseases like dengue and malaria. Using cinnamon essential oil in an oil diffuser or burning it in incense burners will ensure that your house is free from mosquitoes.
2. Use as Natural Room Freshener
The distinct sweet-spicy fragrance of cinnamon isn’t just appealing to your senses, but also acts as a non-toxic natural disinfectant. You can add a couple of drops of this oil while cleaning the floor, kitchen counters and other surfaces to make your house smell heavenly. Also, you can combine it with other essential oils like lemon or peppermint to make your own customized room freshener.
Discover more about Natural Homemade air fresheners to surround your place with fragrance.
3. Use for Perfumes
The enchanting aroma of cinnamon is giving a tough competition to the floral fragrances as it can be used as an ingredient in perfumes for both men and women. The therapeutic oil is antidepressant in nature and provides a cooling effect that helps to boost your mood and can get quite addictive. Cinnamon essential oil also acts as a fixative that can prolong the essence of other scented oils that might be included.
4. Insect Repellent
Cinnamon oil is anti-fungal, anti-infectious, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, and antiviral in nature. Hence, it can be used as an excellent choice to get rid of insects and germs. Although the strong essence of the oil is pleasing to humans, it is lethal to bugs and pests.
Simple Homemade Recipes
1. Body Lotion
- Cinnamon essential oil- 5 drops
- Frankincense essential oil- 5 drops
- Myrrh essential oil- 5 drops
- Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil- 1/4 cup
- Shea butter- 1/4 cup
- Beeswax- 1/4 cup
How to Prepare
- Take both the base oils and mix them with beeswax and shea butter.
- Transfer the mixture in a glass bowl and place it in a saucepan containing water.
- Allow the water to simmer on medium heat for few minutes so that the mixture can melt.
- Switch off the flame and refrigerate the mixture.
- Wait for minimum an hour until the mixture solidifies.
- Take out the mixture and continue whipping it till it turns fluffy.
- Add the essential oils mix well.
- Bottle it up and keep away from sunlight.
2. Face Wash
- Cinnamon essential oil- 2 drops
- Apple cider vinegar- 1 tablespoon
- Raw honey- 3 tablespoons
- Coconut oil- 1 tablespoon
How to Prepare
- Prepare a fine paste by mixing all the ingredients together.
- You can use a hand blender to get a more refined paste.
- Your homemade face wash is ready to use.
- Fill it in a bottle and store it in a cool place for further usage.
Precautions for Using Cinnamon Oil
- Make sure to always dilute cinnamon essential oil by adding in a base or carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
- Although cinnamon leaf oil is generally safe for use in its problem dilution, cinnamon bark oil is considered harsh and can cause sensitization.
- Do not apply the oil on children below the age of 6.
- As cinnamon oil is strong in nature, it is not recommended for internal consumption without medical advice.
- It is a common cinnamon oil danger that inhaling or applying the oil directly can irritate your skin and nasal passage.
- Avoid any contact with eyes, nose, and ears.
- Perform a patch test on your feet to check if the oil is suitable for your skin or if you have any allergies or reaction.
- Always use the oil in an appropriate proportion as overusing it can lead to serious health disorders.
- If your skin is allergic or sensitive to cinnamon oil, stop using it right away.
- Consult your doctor before using cinnamon oil if you are under medication, undergoing any treatment, pregnant or breastfeeding.
Also read: 11 Best Citronella Oil Uses and Benefits