Our desire to look good is not a new phenomenon. While cosmetic companies keep coming up with products every day, people have been taking care of their skin and hair since forever. And many of those age-old remedies still work their magic very well. The omnipresent Coconut oil is one of those. In many countries, the coconut tree is referred to as ‘the tree of life’. Because you can use it for cooking, or as your best friend for your skin’s beauty, or as nourishment for your hair – it can do it all! Over the years, people have invented many more recipes and ways to use coconut oil.
So, let us take a look at how the coconut oil benefits us in so many ways!
- Common Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
- 1. Instant Energy
- 2. Bank for Vitamin E
- 3. Coconut Oil Helps the Brain
- 4. Coconut Oil Helps in Losing Weight
- 5. Coconut Oil Helps in Fighting Immunity
- 6. Coconut Oil Helps in Controlling Your Appetite
- 7. Coconut Oil Lowers Risk of Heart Diseases
- 8. Coconut Oil Prevents Tooth Decay and Gum Diseases
- 9. Coconut Oil Improves Digestion
- 10. Coconut Oil helps in Hormonal Balance.
- 11. Coconut Oil helps with Hair and Skin Health
- Uses of Coconut Oil for Hair and Skin
- Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Hair
- Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Skin
Common Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
1. Instant Energy
To begin with, coconut oil is extracted from the pulp of coconut. It is rich and filled with a lot of fatty acids. But, these are healthy, since they are small chains of fatty acid, so they are directly passed on to the liver to provide instant energy. It is very nourishing. Lauric acid, that is also present in breast milk, is a component of coconut oil as well.
2. Bank for Vitamin E
Coconut oil is loaded with many benefits along with Vitamin E in abundance. In a time when people need to take supplements to maintain the required levels of vitamin E in their body, coconut oil is serving it to you on a silver platter. Vitamin E is considered as your skin’s best friend. It prevents wrinkles and ageing to a great extent. It also helps in maintaining your cardiovascular health. Apart from this, it is very helpful in healing scars and wounds.
3. Coconut Oil Helps the Brain
As mentioned before, the fatty acids present in coconut oil are healthy. They get metabolized very easily and quickly. Which releases ketones. Now, the ketone is a component that the brain uses to utilize energy. Hence, it can have some major therapeutic effects for people with poor memory or if they have Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Coconut Oil Helps in Losing Weight
The fatty acids break down easily in our body. And instead of settling under the layers of your skin, it metabolises and provides you with loads of instant energy. Since it tends to increase your metabolism, that helps in weight loss.
5. Coconut Oil Helps in Fighting Immunity
As we now know, coconut oil contains Lauric acid, which constitutes almost 50% of the total components. Lauric acid fights a lot of bacteria and viruses. It also prevents the digestive tract from having ulcers or poisoning.
6. Coconut Oil Helps in Controlling Your Appetite
A wonderful feature about coconut oil is that it helps in increasing satiety. It makes you feel fuller for longer hours. It is due to a hormonal effect as well as the bulk in the fatty acids. It is identified that you do not feel hungry soon after having a meal with a coconut oil base.
7. Coconut Oil Lowers Risk of Heart Diseases
Well, according to research, experts say that coconut oil increases the levels of plasma cholesterol in our body, which is healthy cholesterol. Apart from that, increases low-density lipids, preventing blockages in a heart as well.
8. Coconut Oil Prevents Tooth Decay and Gum Diseases
Over the years, oil pulling has been used as a method to prevent any tooth related problems like decaying, bleeding and strengthening. Coconut oil helps in keeping oral problems. It is also used as a mouthwash by a lot of people to protect the layer of teeth from the attacks of germs. It takes away the bad breath as well. It provides a natural polish to your teeth and gums.
9. Coconut Oil Improves Digestion
Coconut oil is said to be a great agent from improving and aiding digestion. Improved digestion indicated a better absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It helps in the breakdown and absorption of various fat-soluble minerals and vitamins like calcium and magnesium. This helps the body to adapt itself in a way that it takes as much as nutrients possible. More the nutrients, the healthier you are!
10. Coconut Oil helps in Hormonal Balance.
Coconut oil has an abundance of healthy fatty acids, which play a key role in balancing the hormones. We live in a world where the lifestyle that we lead creates a major imbalance in our hormonal ratios. It is most advisable during pre-menopause and post-menopause durations.
11. Coconut Oil helps with Hair and Skin Health
Cosmetic experts, globally recommend coconut oil for so many purposes. It nourishes your hair and skin making it healthy. We shall read more about the terrific benefits of coconut oil for hair and skin in the sections below.
Uses of Coconut Oil for Hair and Skin
1. Conditions for Your Hair
A lot of conditioners that you buy in the market have coconut oil in them already. This is because they are one of the best natural conditioners. It helps in preventing the loss of protein from your hair. It adds a natural and minimal Greece that is just about right to maintain the conditioning of your hair.
2. Get Rid of Dandruff
Well, dandruff is one of the most recognized hair problems in the world. Almost every second person is fighting to get rid of dandruff. Dandruff keeps on re-occurring due to dry scalp. Using coconut oil helps in moisturizing your scalp and prevents the formation of dandruff again and again. It has proven itself as an ultra moisturizer and often works better than the other anti-dandruff shampoos that you get in the market. There are some natural home remedies for dandruff control.
3. Adds Shine to Your Hair and Tames the Frizz
Having split ends often? Or maybe dried tales. Well, coconut oil just solves it all for you. It locks the proteins and makes the hair look healthy and shine vibrantly.
Coconut oil gives a chic polish to your hair. It calms your frizz by acting as a natural serum.
4. Promotes Hair Growth
Coconut oil goes deep inside the roots and promotes the growth of baby hair, making your hair look voluminous. Homemade hair oils promote the hair growth to certain extent.
5. Cleanses Your Face
Coconut oil is filled with natural antibacterial components, so rubbing it on your skin really helps in removing the microbes settled in the pores.
Coconut oil is one of the best natural moisturisers. It helps in locking the moisture for longer hours. You can use it on your face and body. It also serves as primer, f you do not have oily skin.
7. Best Makeup Cleanser
Well, you do not need to go heavy on your pockets for a makeup remover. Coconut does the trick better than any other eye product. It cleanses everything on your skin deeply. It is great remover for eye- makeup as well which a lot of other makeup products do not do well.
8. Soothe your Dry Skin
Flaky and dry skin could be an absolutely bothering. You have a range of products to restore the moisture. Yet, a lot of dermatologists recommend coconut oil for it’s beneficiaries. They say for a longer time than other moisturising butter or creams.
9. It is your Nail’s Best Friend.
Coconut oil, when applied on cuticles and nails, it prevents them from cracking or drying up.
10. Use is Before Shaving
Coconut oil is the best natural way to smoothen your skin before shaving. The shaving foams that you buy in the market are expensive and are loaded with chemicals that penetrate in your skin. Coconut oil makes the skin bed soft and apt for shaving naturally.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Hair
1) The Traditional Way
- Well, the most convenient way is to apply oil directly to your scalp and hair.
- In a bowl, take 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and heat it.
- Heating the coconut oil helps in penetrating the oil into the roots.
- After applying the oil, leave it overnight and wash it off with a mild cleanser the next morning.
- This will leave your hair smooth, shiny and voluminous.
2) Coconut Oil and Egg White
The proteins in the egg nourish the hair with lots of benefits. Coconut oil and egg white provide the necessary proteins and acid for your hair.
- In a bowl, heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add egg white of 1 egg to it.
- Mix them well, and apply it all over your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for half an hour and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- This will nourish your hair and condition it from deep within.
3) Coconut Oil along with Camphor
Coconut oil is a great agent to get rid of dandruff.
- In a jar, take equal portions of heated coconut oil and crushed camphor.
- leave the jar undisturbed for a day.
- rub the mix on your scalp thoroughly.
- leave it for 2-3 hours and wash it off with cleanser and cold water.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Skin
1) Make Your Own Body Butter
- Mix a portion of coconut oil with a portion of petroleum jelly.
- Mix them well, and store it in a jar.
- Use this on your skin every night, o maintain the moisture quotient of your skin.
- It makes the skin smooth and toned as well.
2) Coconut Scrub
Often , the face scrubs that you get in the market end up leaving your skin very dry. But, coconut scrubs, scrub your face, they remove the dead skin as well. But, they manage to lock the moisture.
- In a bowl, add a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- To this, add 2 teaspoons to coconut sugar.
- Mix them well, and scrub it all over your face and neck.
- While doing this, you shall realize that it is a very gentle scrub, hence it removes the dead skins without cracking your skin beneath. Check here to know more about the face scrub for clean and glowing skin.
3) Coconut Steam
Beauty experts from all over the world recommend this for healthy and young skin.
- For this, you shall need a steamer.
- In the steamer, add water and let it boil.
- Now, add around 30-50 ml of coconut oil and a few drops of essential oil.
- Bend over the steamer and lock yourself with a towel so that the steam stays inside.
- Let the steam get into your skin for 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, wash your face.
You will feel that your pores do not feel clogged anymore. And your skin has become hydrated and softer.
4) It Acts as a Makeup Remover
- In a spray bottle, add a little coconut oil and aloe vera oil.
- Spray this on a cotton pad and remove all the makeup from your face and eyes.
- It is natural, so no chemical penetrates into your skin either.
With all that being said, you now know that coconut oil can surely be your skin and hair’s best friend. You can drink it, scrub it, massage it…there are just infinite possibilities. People have been using it for decades now, and it never gets old. One should surely incorporate it in their beauty regimes.
Also read: Orange Essential Oil Benefits, Uses & Recipe