Our mind and body are being put through increasing stress every day. By the end of the day and definitely by the end of the week, we are tired enough to deserve a relieving massage. It’s also much needed for the health of our body and mind. Massage makes us think of spas and professional masseuse/masseurs but those are also very expensive. So why not get a regular massage at home for yourself, free of cost, and that too with the goodness of the very healthy Coconut oil.
- Is Coconut Oil Good for a Massage?
- Homemade Massage Oil with Coconut Oil
- Precautions for Taking Coconut Oil Massage
Is Coconut Oil Good for a Massage?
Coconut oil is used in a ton of ways for beauty and health. Here are some of the reasons why its great to use coconut oil for massage.
1. Reduces Stretch Marks
Being hydrating, coconut oil can diminish the appearance of stretch marks. It is absorbed into the skin easily and this helps with the treatment of stretch marks as stretch marks have to be treated from deep within the skin. Being rich in antioxidants, coconut oil also helps provide the skin with nourishment.
2. Improves Skin Health and Quality
Coconut oil has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties which make it a beneficial oil for using for skin health, quality and texture.
3. Moisturizes Skin
Coconut oil, especially virgin coconut oil, is light and gets absorbed into the skin quickly. It is excellent as a moisturizer.
4. Treats Chapped Lips
Due to its hydrating properties, coconut oil is excellent for treating chapped lips. Dab it onto your lips throughout the day or after eating every meal and you’re set to have healthy, moisturized lips throughout.
5. Improves Sleep
Coconut oil helps improve your sleep cycle as well. Applying coconut oil on your skin as well as its smell it can greatly enhance your sleep cycle giving you a quality sleep.
7. Reduces Hair Fall
Coconut oil is used in all tropical countries for daily hair care. Its moisturizing property helps in keeping the hair hydrated and gives your hair a nice sheen along with promoting its healthy growth. It also helps in preventing protein loss from hair. Due to its relatively low molecular weight, it penetrates to the shaft level and prevents hair damage. Using it regularly keeps dandruff in check as well. Due to these many benefits, coconut oil can aid greatly in reducing hair fall.
8. Reduces Under Eye Darkness
The area or skin under your eyes is very thin and soft, susceptible to developing wrinkles, lines and dark circles (often aided by exhaustion as well). This can be avoided by dabbing coconut oil on the under-eye skin. This leaves your skin moisturized and less prone to developing lines or wrinkles or even dark circles. Apply before going to sleep.
9. Prevents Fungal Infection
Being a rich source of lauric acid, coconut oil has antifungal properties. Coconut oil can be used on the affected areas to prevent or ward off fungal infections or cure fungal infections.
Homemade Massage Oil with Coconut Oil
Here is a coconut oil massage recipe. You can try this at home.
- A jar of unrefined natural virgin coconut oil.
- Essential oil(s) of your choice. (check out about all the popular essential oils and their benefits.)
- A glass jar for transferring the mixture.
- Wooden spoon.
- A pan or pot.
Steps for Preparation
- Warm a pot/pan of water on the stove.
- Place the jar of coconut oil in the water.
- Let the coconut oil completely melt.
- Take out the jar and add 1 teaspoon of essential oil(s), stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Pour this mixture into the glass jar for containing it and seal it, placing it in the freezer. It will attain a wonderful, creamy texture, and you can use it for massage.
Precautions for Taking Coconut Oil Massage
- Use natural virgin coconut oil and not refined coconut oil.
- Unless you are a massage therapist, do not use complex massage movements. A simple massage should suffice.
- Mix coconut oil with compatible oils and ingredients only. Consult an expert or a reputed source.
- Always remember to perform a skin patch test before applying any oil to check for allergies or reactions. Some people may suffer from allergies with even the commonly used ingredients.
Also read: Coconut Oil for Soft Lips