Increased stress levels and lack of proper nutrition is resulting in hair fall and other hair problems at a much younger age now. Too many people we know are suffering from worrying hair fall, dandruff, thinning hair, bald spots and other forms of hair damage. The contributing factors to the ill health of hair are attributed to the body nutrition levels. Also, with the augmented use of chemical based hair products, the hair loses its natural oil and shine. Exposure to pollution is another reason making it difficult to have long thick hair naturally.
Though many (note: not all) hair oil products advertise their natural ingredients, nothing beats the originality of homemade hair oil for thick hair. Some of these also come from the tried and tested the ayurvedic wisdom of centuries. These homemade oils for hair growth assure good hair growth with minimal or no side effects.
Homemade Hair Oil Recipes
1. Amla Hair Oil
Amla is one of the best-known secrets for thick long hair. It helps in reducing the heat in the scalp that causes hair fall. Highly enriched with Vitamin C, it helps to strengthen the hair roots and nourish the cells. It prevents the greying of the hair. Amla also conditions the hair leaving it silky and lustrous.
- 120 grams of Amla powder ( you can cut fresh amla, sun dry it and grind it into a fine powder)
- 1-litre water
- 250 mL of coconut or olive oil
- In a pan, boil water and add a part of the amla powder (about 100 grams).
- Let it boil until the water comes down to half its initial level.
- Take it off the stove and strain it to get the amla concentrate.
- Keep it aside for 2 hours to dry.
- In another pan, add the coconut or olive oil, with the remaining amount of amla powder, along with the amla powder concentrate.
- Bring it to boil and keep it aside to cool.
- You would see the oil is transparent yellow and can be stored away from sunlight.
2. Bhringraj Oil
The king of herbs, Bhringraj has the best hair nourishment properties owing to the enhanced deep penetration into the scalp and treats dry scalp. It effectively treats dandruff, baldness and dry hair. Bhringraj is the major ingredient in most commercial based hair oils too.
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- A handful of bhringraj leaves (Or Bhringraj leaf powder)
- One cup of coconut oil/ sesame oil
- If you are using the bhringraj leaves, chop them into small slices.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium flame and add the leaves/ powder along with the fenugreek seeds.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool down.
- Apply this oil and gently massage for enhanced hair growth.
3. Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil
Curry leaves are known to impart the sole nourishment for the hair color. Using curry leaves, we can make the homemade hair oil for black hair. It prevents premature greying of the hair and keeps your hair black and shiny.
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil for a few seconds before adding the curry leaves.
- Simmer it for about 2 minutes and take it off the stove.
- Let it cool, before storing it.
Discover more about benefits of Coconut oil for hair.
4. Mustard Oil and Castor Oil
Mustard oil is a good source of calcium, iron, selenium, magnesium and zinc. These nutrients nourish the scalp and the hair follicles. Castor oil is a pack of Ricinoleic acid combined with omega 3 fatty acids which boost the blood circulation to the scalp. This property of castor oil effectively promotes hair growth. Mustard and castor oil are effective in homemade hair oil for thick hair.
- 2 tablespoons of Mustard oil
- One cup of coconut oil
- Heat the mixture of mustard oil and coconut oil for just a couple of seconds to prevent loss of nutrients.
- Apply it as a before shower oil massage.
- Let it sit for an hour or two and wash it with regular shampoo.
5. Black Seed and Olive Oil
Black seed oil and olive oil gel well to increase nourishment to the scalp and hair. They help to significantly reduce hair fall and promote the formation of new hair follicles. They also help in nourishing the hair strands too, for strong and healthy locks. It is one of the widely known ingredients in homemade hair oil for black hair.
- A cup of black seed oil and olive oil
- Mix them both in a bowl and massage it onto the scalp gently.
- Leave it for an hour and rinse with warm water using a mild shampoo.
6. Tulsi Hair Oil
Tulsi is fully packed with good nutrients which help in healing damaged hair and scalp. It increases the blood circulation in the scalp thereby increasing the nutrition supply to the hair roots. It is highly effective against dandruff, head lice, and thinning of hair. It treats itchy scalp and clears the scalp of any infection.
- 4 to 6 Tulsi leaves ( grind it into a paste)
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- Half a cup of coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil over medium flame.
- Add the fenugreek seeds, and the paste of Tulsi leaves.
- Take it off the stove after 5 -6 minutes.
- Let it cool and store it in a dry and clean container.
7. Mint oil
Peppermint has loads of antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which is highly effective against dandruff and head lice. It promotes blood circulation and helps to prevent dry scalp.
- Almond oil
- 6 to 8 leaves of mint
- Muslin cloth
- Take some almond oil in a clean glass container.
- Mash the peppermint leaves into a paste.
- Transfer this paste into the container with almond oil.
- Keep it out in the sunlight for a couple of days. Strain the infused mint oil and store it for future.
8. Lemon oil
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C and full of antioxidants which help in clearing dandruff in the scalp. Regular use of lemon oil can get rid of dandruff permanently. Its acidic nature makes it effective against ingrown hair and keeps the oil in the scalp under control. Also, lemon is effective in keeping the scalp free from any infections.
- 1 Lemon
- Olive oil
- Wash the lemon with clean water and pat it dry.
- Grate the lemon into a bowl and transfer it into a container.
- Add the olive oil up to the brim of the container and keep it out in the sunshine.
- After a couple of days, it can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in room temperature.
Homemade hair oils are an essential solution for hair growth and thickness we all desire and admire. Since you’re making these with your own hand, you can assure yourself of its purity. The freshness of its ingredients makes it even more effective in promoting the growth of your hair. So go on, use these recipes for homemade hair oils, and create one all by yourself!