Contrary to popular beliefs, the benefits of using a good sunscreen go much beyond preventing skin tanning and hyperpigmentation. Constant exposure to both UVA and UVB rays isn’t only associated with serious skin conditions like sunburn and heat rashes but can also lead to the development of cancer because they act as potent carcinogens. Using a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection against both types of radiations is a must for long term protection of your skin and ensuring its proper health. Although selecting the right sunscreen for oily skin can be a bit tricky, thanks to the modern formulations there are a lot of oil-free products that offer excellent sun protection without making your skin appear greasy or shiny.
- List of Top 10 Best Sunscreen for Oily Skin
- 1. Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream No Sebum SPF35 PA+++
- 2. The Body Shop Seaweed Oil Control Lotion SPF 15 PA++
- 3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++
- 4. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel PA+++ SPF 50
- 5. Kaya Ultra Light Aquagel Sunscreen SPF 25
- 6. L’Oreal Paris UV Perfect Super Aqua Essence SPF 50
- 7. Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel with SPF 20
- 8. Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 40
- 9. Cetaphil Daylong Light Gel – SPF 50 PA++++
- 10. O3+ Mattifying Gel Cream SPF 50
List of Top 10 Best Sunscreen for Oily Skin
1. Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream No Sebum SPF35 PA+++
- Light texture that blends easily into your skin
- Enriched with the goodness of sunflower oil and Jeju green tea extracts
- Protects your skin from tanning, redness and sun damage
- Ensures your skin remains sweat-free, smooth and soft
- Free from mineral oils, artificial colouring, tar dye and talc
- Offers a non-sticky, non-greasy, beautiful matte finish
- Controls oiliness and keeps skin shine-free
- Best sunscreen for oily sensitive skin
- Convenient packaging
- Satisfying staying power
- Creates a white cast on the skin
- Doesn’t provide enough moisturization
- The price may be a problem for some
- Strong fragrance
Rs.900 for 50 ml.
2. The Body Shop Seaweed Oil Control Lotion SPF 15 PA++
- Non-comedogenic, oil-free formula
- Provides a super hydrating and cooling effect
- Leaves a matte, shine-free complexion
- Balances oil and reduces sebum to a great extent
- Offers a refreshing pleasant scent
- Feels extremely gentle on sensitive skin
- Can be used underneath your makeup
- Best sunscreen for oily skin in winter
- Certified organic ingredients
- Travel-friendly packaging
- Limited SPF protection
- Takes a while to get absorbed
Rs.1295 for 50 ml.
3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++
- Creamy texture that gets absorbed easily into the skin
- Contains oat kernel extracts to reduce irritation
- Keeps your skin oil-free for a long time
- Feels ultra-light and non-sticky on the skin
- Waterproof and sweatproof formula
- Best sunscreen for oily skin SPF 50
- Doesn’t leave any white cast on the skin
- Has a mild soothing fragrance
- Easy to carry tube packaging
- The full ingredient list isn’t mentioned
- Need to use a moisturiser before applying the sunscreen
Rs.549 for 88 ml.
4. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel PA+++ SPF 50
- Enriched with the benefits of horse chestnut, comfrey and vanilla extracts
- Provides road coverage with excellent sun protection
- Gel-based, oil-free formula that gets quickly absorbed into the skin
- Smoothes out your skin texture
- Offers a refreshing cooling effect
- Doesn’t trigger breakouts
- Gives an instant neat matte finish
- Best sunscreen for oily skin India
- Economical pricing
- No white cast
- Unsatisfactory packaging
- Need to reapply after a while
- Non-tinted sunscreen
- Contains paraben
Rs.295 for 50 gm.
5. Kaya Ultra Light Aquagel Sunscreen SPF 25
- A super sheer sunscreen, great for everyday use
- Weightless, cream-based consistency
- Non-greasy and shine free formula
- Best sunscreen for oily acne prone skin
- Soothes redness and prevents tanning
- Leaves your skin feeling smooth and soft
- Doesn’t clog your pores
- Offers a fresh, cooling sensation
- Travel-friendly packaging
- PABA free formulation
- Neither waterproof nor sweat-proof
- Pricing is a bit on the higher side given the quantity of the product
Rs.580 for 50 ml.
6. L’Oreal Paris UV Perfect Super Aqua Essence SPF 50
- Lightweight, watery cream with fast-absorbing texture
- Offers decent protection from the harmful UV rays
- Good for sensitive skin as it doesn’t cause any breakouts
- Doesn’t feel greasy or messy post application
- Blends seamlessly into the skin
- Doesn’t leave your skin with a white cast
- Acts as a suitable makeup base
- The skin tends to get oily after 3-4 hours
- The sunscreen contains a high amount of alcohol
- Not very budget friendly
- Inconvenient packaging
Rs.515 for 30 ml.
7. Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel with SPF 20
- An amazing gel-based consistency that glides smoothly on the skin
- Made with natural ingredients so it doesn’t irritate your skin
- Doesn’t suffocate your skin and feels extremely light
- A pea-sized drop of the product is enough for the entire face
- Holds the moisture for a long time
- Best sunscreen for oily skin for men in India
- Doesn’t lead to acne or breakouts
- Good for the sensitive nose as it doesn’t leave any scent behind
- Super affordable
- Limited sun protection, not available in higher SPF
- Gives the feeling of having a plastic film on your face if you step out in the sun immediately after applying the sunscreen.
Rs.285 for 100 ml.
8. Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 40
- Oil-free formula that effectively controls sebum
- The product is non-greasy and non-clogging in nature
- Offers UVA/UVB protection along with high SPF
- Gets absorbed into your skin easily
- Doesn’t trigger breakouts
- Evens out your skin tone to a certain extent
- Gives a nice subtle glow once it sets
- Best tinted sunscreen for oily skin
- Luxurious, travel-friendly packaging
- Not recommended for sensitive skin as it contains citrus extracts
- The texture might feel a bit heavy to some
Rs.2500 for 40 ml.
9. Cetaphil Daylong Light Gel – SPF 50 PA++++
- Enriched with the benefits of Vitamin E and aloe vera
- Moderately light, white creamy texture
- Water-Resistant formula with high SPF
- Keeps your face hydrated and fresh throughout the day
- Prevents sunburn, tanning and premature skin ageing due to sun damage
- Best sunscreen for oily skin dermatologist recommended
- Provides excellent sun protection all the way to the cellular and DNA level
- Doesn’t feel greasy or sticky at all
- Packaging needs improvement
- Doesn’t absorb into the skin easily
- Pricing is on the higher side
Rs.1499 for 50 ml.
10. O3+ Mattifying Gel Cream SPF 50
- Oil-free, lightweight, shine-free formula
- Offers a refreshing citrusy essence along with a cooling effect
- Doesn’t clog your pores or cause any breakouts
- Best sunscreen for oily skin in summer
- High SPF ensures better protection
- Leaves your skin with a clean finish
- Travel-friendly tube packaging
- Blends well into the skin
- Leaves a whitish tint when layered
- Unsatisfying staying power
Rs.445 for 50 gm.
1. Should I Use a Light Base Sunscreen for an Acne-prone Oily Skin?
Lighter base sunscreen that includes any alcohol-based lotion, spray or gel works really well for acne prone oily skin as it won’t feel greasy and cakey on your skin.
2. Which Sunscreen Best Suits for an Oily Skin?
Use an oil-free, water or gel-based sunscreen if you suffer from oily skin as it will get easily get absorbed into your skin and won’t trigger acne breakouts.
3. How much SPF Number Is Required in A Sunscreen for Oily Skin?
For oily skin, an SPF of 30-40 will do just fine during summers in India.
4. How to Apply Sunscreen on an oily Skin?
Shake the bottle well and take a moderately big pea size amount of the sunscreen. Apply it liberally all over your face and neck so that it coats your skin evenly. You might notice a white layer immediately after applying the sunscreen. Rather than vigorously rubbing it, wait for a minute or two in order to let it completely penetrate into your skin. Make sure to put on a sunscreen 15-20 minutes before sun exposure for it to work better. In case you are outdoors or prone to sweating, reapply the sunscreen every 2-3 hours to ensure your skin gets protected against sun damage.
5. Which Sunscreen Should I Choose for Oily Face with Acne?
Opt for a good physical sunscreen with a non-comedogenic formula for oily, sensitive, or acne-prone skin. It won’t clog your skin pores, irritate your skin or lead to the formation of acne and at the same time offer excellent protection from UV rays.
Just back from a vacation on the beach? Or from a heavy day out in the sun? Worrying about how your face and neck are so much more tanned? Read these best ways to remove sun tan.
Check out our review of the Kama Ayurveda Natural Sun Protection, the benefits and uses of this product.