Citronella Oil is an essential oil which is widely known for its versatility. Citronella is a perennial grass which is a native of Asia. This oil is mainly used in Indonesia, China, Sri Lanka and many other Asian countries since ages for treating various health conditions Citronella Oil is extracted from the grass by the steam distillation process. It is commonly used as an insect repellent. It has many other health benefits also. Citronella Oil has got antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties due to which it is very beneficial for treating various health conditions. It has got a citrusy, fresh and sweet aroma due to which it commonly used in aromatherapy. Citronella Oil is very effective in treating muscular aches, fever, cold/flu, various skin diseases, heat rashes, fungal infections, insect bites.
Read all about the benefits and uses of Citronella oil. Pure Citronella oil is highly potent and hence needs to be diluted with carrier oils or another suitable base before topical use. Read our guide to dilution of essential oils.
Here, let’s discuss the 10 best Citronella oil brands that are available in India:
- 1. Stbotanica Citronella Pure Aroma Essential Oil
- 2. Organix Mantra Citronella Steam Distilled Essential Oil
- 3. Khadi Pure Herbal Citronella Oil
- 4. Naturalis Citronella Natural Essential Oil
- 5. Arom Soul Citronella Essential Oil Pure And Natural
- 6. Mesmara 100% Pure Natural And Undiluted Citronella Essential Oil
- 7. Old Tree Citronella Essential Oil
- 8. Pure Rouh Citronella Essential Oil
- 9. Ryaal Citronella Essential Oil
- 9. Nilgiris Products- Pure And Natural Citronella Oil
- 10. Allin Exporters Citronella Essential Oil
- 1. How To Use Citronella Essential Oil?
- 2. What Are the Health Benefits Of Citronella Oil?
- 3. Are There Any Side Effects Of Citronella Oil?
- 4. Is Citronella Oil Safe For Infants?
- 5. Can You Use Citronella Oil As An Insect Repellent?
- 6. Does Citronella Oil Work As An Effective Room Freshener?
- 7. Can You Use Citronella Oil For Hair?
- 8. Is There Any Benefit Of Using Citronella Oil For Skin?
- 9. Can I Apply Citronella Directly On My Skin
- 10. Does Citronella Oil Expire?
1. Stbotanica Citronella Pure Aroma Essential Oil
This Citronella oil from StBotanica is one of the leading brands for essential oils. It is manufactured using World’s highest standard for the process of oil extraction. This essential oil is pure, natural and safe. Citronella oil is undiluted with any kind of chemicals, fillers, additives or any other ingredients and hence is safe for topical application. Always dilute it with a suitable carrier oil before applying it on the skin.
2. Organix Mantra Citronella Steam Distilled Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil has got a mild fragrance which helps to repel mosquitoes and flies. It is effective in treating various skin conditions like acne, boils, age spots, and warts. Dilute it with a carrier oil and gently massage on your scalp to get rid of dandruff. Mix Citronella Oil with Coconut Oil and massage on your joints to get rid of joint pain, swelling and muscle spasms. It helps to induce good sleep, by relieving from all kinds of stress and tension.
3. Khadi Pure Herbal Citronella Oil
This oil is excellent for relief from respiratory congestion and muscle spasms. It gives relief from cold, fever and flu. It is very effective in treating stomach and intestinal infection. You can add 1-2 drops in your bathtub and feel fresh and rejuvenated.
4. Naturalis Citronella Natural Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil is best used as an insect repellent. It helps to treat depression, anxiety and tension. This oil has antifungal property due to which it helps to fight stomach and intestinal infection. It promotes sweating thus helping in the removal of toxins from the body. Its anti-inflammatory property helps to reduce pain and inflammation due to arthritis. It is very beneficial for relief from respiratory congestion.
5. Arom Soul Citronella Essential Oil Pure And Natural
This oil acts as a natural insect repellent. It is pure and undiluted oil. You can use this oil in a diffuser or dab in a cotton ball and use it as a room freshener. It helps to alleviate stress and depression.
6. Mesmara 100% Pure Natural And Undiluted Citronella Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil from Mesmara is pure, undiluted and is of therapeutic grade. This oil has got an enchanting musky, citrus like aroma. It is a natural stress buster and natural relaxant. It helps to repel flies, mosquitoes, bugs etc. It has an anti-inflammatory effect which helps to soothe the pain caused by muscle spasm, joint pain, and stomach inflammation.
7. Old Tree Citronella Essential Oil
This citronella oil is 100% pure and is of therapeutic grade. It has got strong citrus-like aroma which helps to keep mosquitoes, flies, and insects at bay. It helps to eliminate the foul smell from interiors and emits a pleasant and enchanting fragrance which helps to make you feel energized and rejuvenated. It helps to remove stress and anxiety and uplifts your mood. By diluting it with water and storing in a spray bottle you can use it as a room freshener.
8. Pure Rouh Citronella Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil acts as a natural mosquito repellant. When diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil it helps to increase blood circulation and thus helps alleviate pain and inflammation. It helps to improve the scalp condition. Mix citronella oil with coconut oil and massage on your scalp. Regular application helps to control the reasons behind dandruff and scalp infections. It helps to keep your kitchen and home clean. Moreover, it helps your mind and body to relax.
9. Ryaal Citronella Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil is pure, organic and natural. It has got an amazing and unique fragrance and is of immense therapeutic value. This oil is used as a room freshener, as a deodorant, in candle making, for fragrance in soap, perfumes and lotions. It helps to relieve pain and inflammation due to fever, flu and arthritis.
9. Nilgiris Products- Pure And Natural Citronella Oil
This Citronella Oil is pure and natural. It has a characteristic aroma due to which it is used in soaps, body lotions, perfumes. It acts as a powerful insecticide as its fragrance helps to keep mosquitoes, insects and flies at bay. It is used for cleaning purposes also. It can be used in diffuser through which its pleasant fragrance spreads the whole interior and makes you feel refreshed and energized.
10. Allin Exporters Citronella Essential Oil
This Citronella Oil is pure, natural and certified oil. It does not contain any additives, fillers, chemicals or other harmful ingredients. It is safe for topical application. But before applying it on your skin you need to dilute it with a carrier oil like jojoba or coconut oil. It helps to treat acne, skin inflammation, rashes and other types of bacteria or fungal infection as Citronella Oil is known to exhibit antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can use it as a room freshener, whose enchanting aroma acts as a stress buster. Its musky, citrus aroma helps to keep insects, flies, mosquitoes and bugs at bay.
1. How To Use Citronella Essential Oil?
Citronella Essential Oil can be used aromatically and topically as well.
Aromatically: You can use Citronella Oil in a diffuser to spread the aroma in your whole house or in office. Its pleasant aroma helps to uplift your mood and relieves stress OR you can inhale is directly from the bottle. As it acts as an excellent insect repellent you can spray it in your kitchen cabinet, drawers, cupboards etc.
Topically: For topical application, Citronella Oil should always be diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil. This oil helps to fight infection and effectively treats various skin conditions. It is also beneficial in treating various scalp conditions.
2. What Are the Health Benefits Of Citronella Oil?
Citronella Oil is very beneficial to your health:
- Helps fight depression and uplifts your mood.
- It exhibits antifungal properties due to which it is helpful in treating various kinds of skin infections.
- Citronella Oil effectively treats fever, cold/ flu as it possesses antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory.
- It helps fights stomach or intestinal infections due to its vermicidal effect.
- This oil has anti-inflammatory properties due to which it helps to reduce pain caused by arthritis.
3. Are There Any Side Effects Of Citronella Oil?
Citronella Oil is generally considered safe for topical application, though few cases of allergic reaction have been reported in some people. Make sure it is diluted properly before topical application and it’s always safe to do a patch test before applying for the first time. However, it is not recommended to take Citronella Oil internally. It may have serious side effects like vomiting, nausea. It is not advisable to use Citronella Oil on babies below 6 months. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should avoid using it.
4. Is Citronella Oil Safe For Infants?
Citronella Oil is not recommended for children. Always consult your paediatrician before you use any oil on your baby.
5. Can You Use Citronella Oil As An Insect Repellent?
Yes, Citronella Oil acts as an excellent Insect repellent, which helps to repel Aedes aegypti which is responsible for causing dengue, yellow fever and chikungunya.
6. Does Citronella Oil Work As An Effective Room Freshener?
Citronella Oil works as an effective room freshener because it has got a citrusy, mild, sweet and pleasant aroma.
7. Can You Use Citronella Oil For Hair?
Citronella Oil acts as a good hair conditioner. It has an anti-inflammatory property which helps to soothe the itchy and irritated scalp thus controlling dandruff.
8. Is There Any Benefit Of Using Citronella Oil For Skin?
Citronella Oil helps to fight various skin infections like athlete’s foot, candida infections, as it has got antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also very effective in treating acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Mix Citronella Oil with coconut oil in equal proportion and apply it on acne prone skin 2-3 times a day.
9. Can I Apply Citronella Directly On My Skin
You should always dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil and do a patch test to check for any allergic reaction.
10. Does Citronella Oil Expire?
Citronella Oil or any other essential oil does not expire, but they do have a shelf life. By storing Citronella essential oil in an airtight container and that too in a cool dark place, helps to increase its shelf life so that you enjoy its maximum benefits.
Also, read Citronella Oil’s side effects and cautions before usage to make the best of this essential oil’s benefits.