- What Is Argan Oil?
- Benefits Of Using Argan Oil For Beards
- How To Use Argan Oil For Beard?
- Argan Oil For Beard Growth And Maintenance Recipes
- Things To Consider Before Buying Argan Oil
What Is Argan Oil?
Beard grooming can be intimidating, extensive and time-consuming. The best way to take care of your beard is by oiling it. Some of the best oils for the beard are – argan oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil and coconut oil. Argan oil is slightly on the expensive side but leaves the beard feeling fantastically moisturised and nourished. But what is Argan Oil, and where is Argan oil found?
Argan oil is naturally extracted from argan trees found in Morocco. It is also famously dubbed as the Moroccan oil. It contains fatty acids, squalene, carotenes, protein, tocopherols and nourishing properties which are essential for the growth and development of hair. The oil is extracted from a nut like fruit which has a hard outer shell. It takes a huge amount of nuts to extract 10 ml of argan oil. Hence, the oil is generally sold at a higher price than other natural base oils. The following is the composition of the fatty acids present in argan oil:
- 43-48% oleic acid
- 34%-36% linoleic acid
- Vitamin E
It generally takes three weeks to two months to grow a healthy looking beard with the help of argan oil. The growth also depends on other factors such as genetics, climatic conditions and nutrition intake.
Benefits Of Using Argan Oil For Beards
Men like to have different looking beards depending on their tastes but the maintenance for all of them requires regular moisturisation. Oiling making a huge difference in how the beard grows – it can either grow coarse and dry or nourished and well maintained. Argan oil can help in crossing that difference from coarser to well-nourished. The fatty acids present in the oil soften the coarse hairs, regulate blood circulation to stimulate hair growth, reduce inflammation, combat acne and control the production of sebum.
Argan oil helps in solving several annoying problems associated with the beard – dandruff, dryness, split ends, tangles and clogging of pores. It has Vitamin E which acts an anti-oxidant and protects the beard from UV rays, heat, cold winds and rains. It keeps the beard healthy in all seasons despite the external forces. Argan oil also acts as an excellent conditioner for the beard. It adds shine and glossiness – adding depth and velocity to the beard.
How To Use Argan Oil For Beard?
There are different ways in which you can use argan oil for the beard:
1. Basic Oil Massage Blend
You can combine argan oil with other hair oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil and olive oil. Add around 4-6 drops of argan oil to either of these oils or a combination of oils. Use this blended oil on the beard every alternative day before a shower.
2. Argan Oil Beard Shampoo
You can find an exclusive argan oil shampoo in high-end stores and online. However, you can create argan oil shampoo at home by simply adding 6-8 drops of argan oil to an all-natural beard shampoo. Massage it into the beard and leave it on for 10-15 minutes before washing it off in the shower.
3. Argan Oil Leave-In Conditioner
You can create a conditioner at home using a few drops of your favourite essential oils such as lavender, lemon and bergamot, etc. Add 8 drops of argan oil to a spray bottle along with 5-5 drops of lavender essential oil and lemon essential oil. Fill the remaining space with distilled water. Use the leave-in conditioner whenever you want. Simply spray it on your beard and massage it in!
4. Argan Oil Hair Mask
You can create an argan hair oil mask at home by combining argan oil with honey, egg yolk and olive oil. Apply the mixture on the beard and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water or mild shampoo. It will leave the beard feeling soft, supple and nourished.
Argan Oil For Beard Growth And Maintenance Recipes
1. Argan Oil For Beard Growth Recipe
You can use this recipe three to four times a week. It will help in regulating blood circulation and stimulation of hair growth. You require small amounts of argan oil for this beard growth recipe. You do not require to splurge on any other ingredient. It is quick and simple to make the recipe at home.
- Argan oil – 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Jojoba oil – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Combine argan oil, olive oil and jojoba oil together.
- Massage the oil blend into the beard for 5 minutes to regulate blood circulation.
- Leave it overnight or for 2-3 hours.
- Wash it off using a mild shampoo in the shower.
- The oil massage will stimulate hair growth and give rise to thicker hair roots.
2. Argan Oil For Beard Maintenance Recipe
You can use this recipe three to four times a week. This homemade recipe will help in retaining the moisture in the beard, keeping it healthy and well-nourished. It will help the coarser hair to soften and to grow thicker. It will add voluminosity and shine to the beard. The other ingredients involved in this recipe are inexpensive and can be easily found at a local pharmacy or online. Making this recipe at home is simple and hardly takes any time. You can make it in large quantity and store in a dark ambered jar in a cool place. It will last you weeks because of the natural added preservative – Vitamin E.
- Argan oil – 2 tablespoons
- Glycerin – 2 tablespoons
- Aloe vera gel – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Vitamin E – 1 capsule
- Combine argan oil, glycerin and aloe vera gel together.
- Break 1 Vitamin E capsule and add the oil to the mixture.
- Mix well together and apply the paste to the beard.
- Leave it on for an hour or overnight.
- Wash it off using warm water.
- The natural moisturiser for the beard will soften the coarse hair, bring depth to fine hair and provide volume to the beard.
Things To Consider Before Buying Argan Oil
- While argan oil can be easily found in the market, it is important to seek information about the brand and the production process before making a purchase.
- The argan oil you purchase should be cold pressed, unrefined and extra virgin. It should be 100% guaranteed and should not contain any preservatives. Sometimes few lesser known brands dilute the oil with other substances to increase the quantity.
- The argan oil should be produced in Morocco where it actually originates from.
- The argan oil should suit your skin. Since some people might be allergic to a natural ingredient, the same applies to argan oil as well. Hence, it is advisable that you do a patch test before applying it on the beard.
- The argan oil should be free of harsh chemicals, free radicals and toxins that can negatively affect the skin and the hair.
- While argan oil suits almost every hair types, it might not work on some hair types. Give some time to see whether the oil is working on your beard or not.
- It generally takes three weeks to two months in order to see effective results. Keep this in mind while purchasing argan oil. It is not a miracle and superfast treatment for your beard. It requires patience and time.
Which Type Of Beard Is Argan Oil Good For?
Argan oil works great on almost all types of beard – high viscosity, medium viscosity, and low viscosity. Depending on the viscosity of the beard, you can either use the argan oil sparingly or in high amounts. No matter the amount, argan oil will fulfil the required nutrients and nourishment needed by the beard. If you have holes or empty patches in your beard, argan oil can help in stimulating hair growth in that area. It will build density and provide volume to the beard. It will help in thickening of hair and hydration. It will also reduce acne and repair damaged skin under the beard.
How Often To Use Argan Oil For Beard Growth And Maintenance?
You can use argan oil for growth and maintenance every day. You just require 4 to 6 drops of the oil to do the trick. You can either mix a few drops with coconut oil or olive oil to create a natural moisturiser or oil blend. Apply and massage it into the beard. Keep it on for an hour or overnight before washing with a mild or natural shampoo. In case your beard starts drying out, reduce the number of times you wash it. It generally takes three weeks to two months for the beard to grow. However, you can start seeing a softer and well-maintained beard in a matter of weeks. There is a lot of patience and deliberation involved in growing a healthy and well-maintained beard.
While on the subject of beard, let’s read about the other top known oils for maintaining a great beard:
- Jojoba oil is present in most branded beard oils. Read about why to use Jojoba oil for Beard.
- Even though almond oil is used very well as skin, hair and baby massage oil, few people know about and leverage these benefits of Almond Oil for Beard.
- When it comes to essential oils, a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil is great for beard. On this link, read all the recipes to prepare a great beard oil using Eucalyptus oil. Remember dilution is necessary for all essential oils before you start using them on yourself.