While our toothbrush-discipline has improved as a race, our eating discipline has gone down big time. Processed foods are pushing away fresh food on the table. The biggest addiction in our lives is Sugar. And junk food is the fastest growing industry. No wonder why being a dentist is such a lucrative and flourishing profession.
As a result of our poor habits, if we do not take extra care of our oral health we might wind up with rotting teeth, cavities, gum problems, bad breath and all other dental health problems which we hear about. While the brands will continue their fight about which toothpaste and mouthwash are the “most recommended by dentists”, a lot of people are adopting the discipline of oil pulling to keep their oral health at the top.
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an Indian Ayurvedic technique of swishing some specific oils, inside the mouth thoroughly to pull out the toxins present in the mouth. This method is quite similar to using mouthwash. What makes it better than a mouthwash is that it is chemical free and is less likely to have a side effect if practised with care. Like mouthwash, it is not a replacement of brushing but a great add-on.
The oil, which is most recommended for oil pulling is sesame oil. You will able to look for yourself, why it is most recommended in the later section.
Benefits Of Using Sesame Oil For Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is legitimately the holy grail for curing the oral conditions. It has an endless list of amazing benefits. It eradicates all sorts of mouth infections and completely detoxifies our mouth.
So what makes oil pulling so beneficial. According to Ayurveda, the different sections of the tongue, are connected to various body parts and its beneficial effect extends to our mouth as well as the body. The numerous benefits of using sesame oil for oil pulling are enlisted below.
- It strengthens the jaws.
- Improves the depth of the voice.
- It is good for our taste buds.
- Heals the cracked lips as well as the dry throat.
- Increases the metabolism of the body.
- It relaxes the joint pains.
- Heals the bleeding gums.
- It even helps with the sleeplessness.
- It prevents tooth decay.
Instructions To Use Sesame Oil For Oil Pulling
Before anything, you must know how much sesame oil for oil pulling, should be used. You require one tablespoon of sesame oil to carry out the procedure. Let me walk you through the step by step procedure of oil pulling using sesame oil.
- Take a spoonful of sesame oil and swish it all around your mouth.
- Make sure to cover every bit of your mouth. Do not forget to pull the oil in between the teeth.
- Let the oil sit in for a duration of 15-20 minutes.
- During this period, the oil slowly starts mixing with the saliva and turns white and foamy.
- The colour transformation of oil from yellow to white is an indication that the oil pulling is successful and that you can spit out the oil.
- After you spit the oil out, wash off your mouth with regular water or salty water.
- At last, you can brush your teeth.
Before indulging into oil pulling, here are a few points that must be kept in mind.
- Oil pulling must be done with an empty stomach.
- The best time for practising oil pulling is during the morning.
- If you wish to do oil pulling anytime other than the morning make sure to do it 4 hours after having a meal.
- Do not swallow the oil as it is infested with harmful microbes.
- If you are unable to hold the oil for 20 minutes straight, don’t worry. Start by holding it in for 5 minutes and gradually increase the time.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Using Sesame Oil For Oil Pulling?
There are no such serious side effects of oil pulling with sesame oil. But there are certain things that need to be taken care of while practising oil pulling like the oil must not be ingested as it can upset your stomach. Oil pulling can also cause lipoid pneumonia if the oil gets to the lungs.
If you think that you can replace brushing with the oil pulling then you are wrong. Oil pulling definitely promotes oral health, but can’t be used as a replacement for brushing.
Which Type Of Sesame Oil To Choose For Oil Pulling?
If you think that you can use any sesame oil available in the market, for oil pulling, then you are wrong. Not all oils are manufactured and refined in the same manner. The way the oils are extracted and refined decides their nutritious value.
The type of sesame oil which is most recommended is the one which is 100% pure and organic sesame oil for oil pulling. This ensures the safety of your mouth as well as the body. Make sure to use cold pressed sesame oil. You must select the oil wisely to ensure your oral health. Cold pressed oils are the best as they are the purest.
Given how disturbing toothaches can be, it is best to follow great dental hygiene and avoid them totally. And if you’re suffering from a toothache, it’s better to keep these home remedies for toothache at the top of your mind. Clove or Clove oil provide a popular home remedy to relieve the toothache. So keep them handy.