- What are Essential Oils?
- How do Essential Oils work?
- Benefits of Essential Oils for the skin
- Top 10 Best Essential oil as per the Skin Type
- Homemade Moisturizer Using Essential Oil
- Precautions for using Essential Oils
What are Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are completely natural oils that are generally extracted from plant sources. They are concentrated and potent oils that have numerous benefits to the skin.
How do Essential Oils work?
Essential Oils work as typically as a serum works on the skin. Since it is super concentrated, it should be used with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. This makes sure that the oil penetrates the skin, and at the same time, it ensures that the oil doesn’t saturate the skin.
Benefits of Essential Oils for the skin
There are numerous benefits of essential oils for the skin, each essential oil specializing in certain benefits for your skin. Some of these benefits include
- Some Essential Oils prevent ageing of the skin. Thus, the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles is significantly slowed down.
- Certain essential oils improve the texture of the skin, making it smoother and even-toned.
- If your skin is dehydrated, it can end up looking dull. Using essential oils on your skin will give it that boost of moisture which adds a healthy lit-from-within glow to the skin.
- Some Essential oils can dry out any acne breakouts in a short time, sometimes even without leaving a scar behind.
Top 10 Best Essential oil as per the Skin Type
1. Essential Oils for Dry Skin
I. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is said to be best suited for dry skin as it helps to hydrate the skin from within. Its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties also soothe the skin if you have extremely sensitive or irritable skin. With consistent use, you will also notice that any blemishes left behind by acne will also fade away.
II. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood oil acts as a deep cleanser that promotes flawless-looking skin. If you are suffering from dry, dull and dehydrated skin, using sandalwood oil will help restore a radiant and healthy glow to the skin. This oil is also antiseptic and thus prevents any skin infections.
2. Essential Oils for Oily Skin
I. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is good for the skin because it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that are great for those suffering from frequent acne breakouts. Tea tree oil also acts as a sebum regulator, thus removing any excess oil accumulation on the skin.
II. Rosemary Essential Oil
If you are suffering from oily skin, the chances are that your skin looks greasy and shiny by the end of the day. Using Rosemary essential oil on your skin will make sure that this issue is prevented. It also treats acne while imparting a healthy glow to the skin.
III. Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper oil is said to be a natural detoxifier and cleanser. Thus, it removes all the dirt, pollutant and excess oils that clog the pores of the skin. This helps the pores remain healthy and regulates oil production of the skin. It also has astringent properties that treat acne breakouts by purifying the skin.
IV. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon acts as a natural astringent for the skin and thus helps treat excess oil production of the skin. Lemon oil minimizes the appearance of pores on the skin while imparting an even tone to it.
3. Essential Oils for Sensitive Skin
I. Chamomile Essential Oil
This is one of the best essential oils for skin that is extremely sensitive. This oil helps fight skin conditions such as allergies, rashes, and dermatitis as it is anti-inflammatory and calming to the skin. It is also a great option for those suffering from cystic acne breakouts.
This essential oil keeps a check on the production of excess oils by the skin while simultaneously healing the skin by regenerating the skin cells. It also has antiseptic properties that prevent acne.
4. Essential Oils for Mature Skin
I. Sage Essential Oil
This is one of the best essential oils for skin anti-ageing. It contains numerous antioxidants that reverse signs of ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles and uneven pigmentation. It also tones the skin, improves its texture and makes it appear healthy and youthful.
5. Essential Oils for Problematic Skin
II. Cedarwood Essential Oil
Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis or even flaky and patchy skin can be quite painful to deal with. However, using cedarwood oil will give you the required relief. It is anti-infectious and anti-fungal and will ensure that no infection of the skin occurs.
Homemade Moisturizer Using Essential Oil
To make your very own homemade moisturizer using essential oils, you will need
- Essential Oil of your choice
- Carrier Oil that is used to dilute and carry essential oils to be delivered to the skin. Examples: almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil etc.
- Moisturizing Oil or Cream
- Start off by mixing the essential oil with the carrier oil. The ratio for this is roughly 5-10 drops of the essential oil with twice as much of the carrier oil.
- To this, add any moisturizing oil or cream that you have and store this in an airtight tub.
- You can apply this on your face instead of your daily moisturizer.
Precautions for using Essential Oils
- Never use Essential Oil as it is. This is because pure essential oil is highly concentrated and may affect your skin in its concentrated form. Always mix it with a carrier oil such as Olive Oil.
- Always do a patch test on your skin before you use any essential oil as you may develop an allergic reaction to it.
Thus, pick out any essential oil of your choice that works for your skin type. Use it every day, religiously at least twice a day, and you will start to see positive results on your skin.